At Ormond Energy Co., Inc. safety is our top priority. In order to keep your family and your property safe, it is important to familiarize yourself with these industry-approved precautions. The risk of a propane leak is extremely low but these helpful safety tips and resources are available to provide valuable information to keep your home or business as safe as possible.
NO FLAMES OR SPARKS
Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. (This includes turning electronics OFF.) Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or fire.
LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY
Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
SHUT OFF THE GAS
Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
REPORT THE LEAK
Call your propane provider right away from a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak. If you can’t reach your propane retailer, call 911 or your local fire department.
DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA
Do not return until your propane provider, emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED
Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane provider or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
Propane smells like rotten eggs, a skunk’s spray, or a dead animal. Some people may have difficulty smelling propane due to their age (older people may have a less sensitive sense of smell), a medical condition, or the effects of medication, alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.
On rare occasions, propane can lose its odor. Several things can cause this, including:
Since there is a possibility of odor loss or problems with smell detection, you should respond immediately to even a faint odor of gas.
Under some circumstances, you may not smell a propane leak. Propane gas detectors sound an alarm if they sense propane in the air. They can provide an additional measure of security. You should consider the purchase of one or more detectors for your home.
Guidelines regarding propane detectors:
Leave it to the experts! Only a qualified service technician has the training to install, inspect, service, maintain, and repair your appliances. Have your appliances and propane system inspected just before the start of each heating season.
Do not try to modify or repair valves, regulators, connectors, controls, or other appliance and cylinder/tank parts. Doing so creates the risk of a gas leak that can result in property damage, serious injury, or death.
What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?
You can’t taste or smell CO, but it is a very dangerous gas. High levels of CO can come from appliances that are not operating correctly, or from a venting system or chimney that becomes blocked.
CO Can Be Deadly!
High levels of CO can make you dizzy or sick. In extreme cases, CO can cause brain damage or death. Symptoms of CO poisoning include: headache, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, and nausea.
If You Suspect CO Is Present, Act Immediately!
1. If you or a family member shows physical symptoms or CO poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department.
2. If it is safe to do so, open windows to allow entry of fresh air and turn off any appliances you suspect may be releasing CO.
3. If no one has symptoms, but you suspect that CO is present, call your propane provider or a qualified service technician to check CO levels and your propane equipment.
CO Detectors Can Improve Safety
For an extra measure of safety, consider installing a CO detector listed by UL on each level of your home. To help reduce the risk of CO poisoning:
If a pilot light repeatedly goes out or is very difficult to light, there may be a safety problem. Do not try to fix the problem yourself. It is strongly recommended that only a qualified service technician light any pilot light that has gone out.
You are taking the risk of starting a fire or an explosion if your light a pilot light yourself. Carefully follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings concerning the appliance before attempting to light the pilot.
Please review this safety information carefully. If you have any additional questions or would like to learn more, feel free to contact us here or call our office at (919) 936-0221.
Don’t run out of gas. Serious safety hazards, including fire or explosion, can result.